Indian Food and Meal Ideas
A festive spicy dish made from green peas and paneer.
For US to UK equivalents see this rough guide
- 6 paneer chunks about 1-1/2 x 1 x 1/2 inch each 1/4 cup oil 1 medium onion, chopped fine 1 tablespoon garlic/ginger paste,
- or 3 garlic cloves, mashed 1 piece fresh ginger, size of walnut, minced 1 large tomato, chopped
- Dry Masala:
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder 1/4 teaspoon turmeric 1/2
- teaspoon garam masala 1/4 cup water 3 cups fresh shelled green peas (or substitute 2 packages frozen) 1 tablespoon
- cashew nuts, ground to a paste with a bit of water Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Prepare the cheese chunks, and in a wok or heavy skillet fry them in hot oil until golden. Remove with slotted spoon and
set aside to drain on a paper towel.
In the remaining oil sauté the chopped onion until it begins to turn brown. Do not scorch. Add the garlic/ginger paste and
bhoona 2 minutes. Add the chopped tomato and bhoona 5 minutes to achieve a thick gravy. Add the dry masala and
bhoona 3 minutes more. (NOTE: If the sauce is lumpy at this stage, puree it in a blender and continue.) Add 1/4 cup water,
then stir in the peas. Add the paneer cubes and bhoona 2 minutes. Stir in the cashew paste, add salt, pepper. Serve at
once. Serves 4 to 6 people.
As with all recipes which involve cooking and baking a sensible approach must be taken especially when dealing with warm or hot (temperature) ingredients. If you are unable to take due care, please do not attempt to make any of these recipes. All recipes are tried at your own risk.
For US to UK equivalents for food weights and measurements see this rough guide
Whilst these recipes may be freely used they may NOT be reproduced in any format (for example -electronic or paper based) without the website owners PRIOR agreement.