Ethnic Recipe and Meal Ideas
This site is designed to help you if you are looking for ethnic recipes or
meal ideas from around the globe. You can search for a recipe (using the
search box on the right) or use the drop down menus at the top of the page
which include region, country, base ingredient or "pot luck"
Scottish Main Course Recipes
Traditional Scotland Meal Ideas
I suppose that the original recipe for goulash comes from Hungary. However, this recipe has been used for many years to provide a warm and delicious meal in Scotland.
- 25 g (1 oz) margarine
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 575g (1&1/4 lb) chuck steak, diced
- 25g (loz) flour
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and sliced
- lx 5m1 spoon (1 tsp) caraway seeds
- lx 400g (14 oz) can tomatoes
- 425 ml (3/4 pint) beef stock
- 2 x 15 ml spoons (2 tbsps) tomato puree
- lx 15 ml spoon (1 tbsp) paprika
- 2 x 15 ml spoons (2 tsps) sugar
- lx 2.5ml spoon (1/2 tsp) marjoram
- 3-4 15 ml spoons (3-4 tbsps) soured cream
Melt margarine and saute onion and garlic until soft. Toss steak in seasoned flour and add to pan. Cook until browned. Add remaining ingredients, except for sour cream and bring to the boil. Transfer to casserole dish and cook in preheated oven 160 C, 325F, Gas No.3 for l/12 to 2 hours.Serve topped with the sour cream.
- Servings 4
- Preparation Time 15 mins
- Cooking Time 1 hr 30 mins
As with all recipes which involve cooking and baking a sensible approach must be taken especially when dealing with warm or hot (temperature) ingredients. If you are unable to take due care, please do not attempt to make any of these recipes. All recipes are tried at your own risk.
For US to UK equivalents for food weights and measurements see this rough guide
Whilst these recipes may be freely used they may NOT be reproduced in any format (for example -electronic or paper based) without the website owners PRIOR agreement.